Greg Fiume - Getty Images
Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: Alex Ovechkin shoots and scores, Brooks Laich is still looking for work, Michal Neuvirth brought Olie Kolzig to Prague with him, and calcium-rich Swedes.
Your savory breakfast links:
● Tales from the lockout:
○ :: sound of screaching brakes :: So it turns out Brooks Laich has not yet signed with the Kloten . But he is definitely in Switzerland to
change kick the tires on a team in the National League A. More news is expected, perhaps, on Friday. [WashTimes]
○ And don't forget about the other guys, the guys on short contracts who aren't getting Eurojobs. [CSNW]
○ ... a list that creates a whole bunch of complications for the players and managers of major junior hockey. [SI]
● Tales from the CBA, er, discussion:
○ Black September. [RtR]
○ Grasping at straws? [Backhand Shelf]
● Oh hai there, Hershey training camp. John Walton reminds us why Chocolatetown is so awesome. [Capitals Voice]
● Part II of The Ballad of Adam Oates. [CSNW]
● IIHF head honcho Rene Fasel gave his State of the Federation address. A good read if you follow international hockey politics. [IIHF]
● Speaking of international hockey politics, the Sochi Olympic venues are shaping up to be spectacular. And there may be a surprise at Kettler. A Team USA-shaped surprise. [ESPN]
● Finally, happy 54th birthday to Paul Mulvey.