WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 05: Brad Richards #19 of the New York Rangers takes a faceoff against Jay Beagle #83 of the Washington Capitals in Game Four of the Eastern Conference Semifinals during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at the Verizon Center on May 5, 2012 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Greg Fiume/Getty Images)
Your savory breakfast links:
● Previews of today's Game 5 with the Rangers from Vogs, NHL.com, Peerless, RMNB, KOL and CRtC, and be sure to check out our SB Nation partner Blueshirt Banter for more coverage from the other side of tonight's match-up and throughout the series.
● Notes and assorted whatnot from yesterday out at Kettler:
○ In general. [Caps365 video (Rinkside Update, Hunter, Ovechkin, Holtby, Green, Carlson, Laich), WaPo, WashTimes, NHL.com, RtR, RMNB (pics)]
○ Power play, ahoy. [WaPo, WashTimes, Newsday]
○ The block party continues apace. [WaPo, WSJ, Sporting News, NHL.com]
○ Some offensive adjustments paid dividends in Game 4. [WashTimes]
○ Is it better to be lucky than good? The Caps have been a little of both ... [WaPo, WashTimes]
○ ... and ESPN's Scott Burnside sez the things they've been doing are working ... [CSNW (video)]
○ ... and NHL.com's Dave Lozo likes what he sees. [CSNW (video)]
○ Nick Backstrom has taken a page from the Book of Foppa. [WashTimes, CSNW, DCEx, THW]
○ Shorter Brooks Laich: "R-E-S-P-E-C-T." [CBC.ca]
○ Less is more for Alex Ovechkin. [National Post]
○ 5 v 5 goals are the Caps' key to success per Barry Melrose. Plus a healthy dose of healthy Bäckis. [ESPN (video)]
● Notes from the Rangers' end of the ice:
○ Key to Game Five: Getting shots on net. And getting past the shot-blockers. [NYDN, NYPost, NHL.com]
○ A tight, hard-hitting series? Been there, done that. [NYT]
○ Why the Blueshirts will win it all. [Daily Freeman]
○ And why they won't. [Cult of Hockey]
○ Oh, no! Don't go, big mo. [WFAN]
○ Pictures, thousand words, etc. [SNYR blog].
○ Haters better start hatin'. [The Record]
● John Walton has had a heck of a ride in his first season in The Show ... [WaPo]
● ... as have the other Hershey grads in the organization ... [Patriot-News]
● ... Like Jay Beagle, for example. [Caps Outsider]
● Apparently Dale Hunter has some sort of connection to Canadian major junior hockey. [Hamilton Spectator, NatPo]
● At least five of the nitwits who tweeted racist slurs following Game Seven are facing disciplinary actions at their high school. [Deadspin, Gloucester Times, MSNBC]
● 'Cos everyone's crazy for a sharp-dressed man. [Sick Unbelievable]
● Beard ... donate!
● Happy 32nd birthday to Lawrence Nycholat, and happy 56th birthday to Tony Cassolato.
● Hip check: The Rink wishes Craig Laughlin a full and speedy recovery as he heads down the tunnel for repairs.