Photo courtesy Russian Ice Hockey Federation. More pix here.
Your savory breakfast links:
● Team Russia finished a perfect 10-0 at the 2012 World Championship, capturing gold with a 6-2 victory over Slovakia. Sasha Syomin was named Man of the Match with two goals and an assist, and Alex Ovechkin dished out two helpers in the win and tried hard to get his 'mate the hat trick. Caps prospect (and 13th forward) Yevgeni Kuznetsov didn't get any game action but seemed to log some quality time chatting up tournament MVP Yevgeni Malkin.
○ Recaps and other assorted musings on the game from IIHF.com, NHL.com, WaPo, Voice of Russia, National Post, Alex Ovetjkin, SB Nation DC, Puck Daddy, USA Today (with postgame interviews), PHT, NESN, RMNB (and pictures), DC Pro Sports Report, Caps B-Ball, and what it all means vis a vis the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi (Eye on Hockey).
● In additional championship tournament action, Stanislav Galiev and the Saint John Sea Dogs will play the WHL champion Edmonton Oil in Game Two of their round-robin phase of the Memorial Cup at 7pm Eastern. For the curious, here's a look at the MemCup scene in Shawinigan, Quebec. [Canoe.ca]
● Meanwhile, back at the Caps' regularly-scheduled offseason, we have reviews for:
○ Goalies ... [DC Pro Sports Report]
○ ... and John Carlson, appearing on these pages this morning at 11.
● In a season of surprises, here are six of the memorable ones. [KOL]
● Today in "Depressing Postseason Questions Asked By Canadian Columnists ..." [Edmonton Journal]
○ ... and Larry Brooks sez Hunter Hockey kept the Caps from advancing, particularly against superior goaltending. [NYPost]