Never too early to start speculating about what the team will look like next year. The identity of the new coach will likely frame any roster moves that we end up making, but still couldn't hurt to start discussing:
- Who do the Caps re-sign, and how much do they cost?
- Who do the Caps target as UFA, and how much do they cost?
- Who are the Caps best trade assets, and who around the league might be in a position to move?
My first attempt at an optimistic line-up for next year after the jump.
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Troy Brouwer ($2.350m)
Brooks Laich ($4.500m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m)
Jason Chimera ($1.750m) / Jarret Stoll ($4.250m) / Cody Eakin ($0.638m)
Joel Ward ($3.000m) / Jay Beagle ($1.000m) / Matt Hendricks ($0.825m)
Mathieu Perreault ($0.825m) /
Karl Alzner ($1.285m) / John Carlson ($1.500m)
Jason Garrison ($3.000m) / Mike Green ($5.000m)
Roman Hamrlik ($3.500m) / Dmitry Orlov ($0.900m)
John Erskine ($1.500m) /
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m)
Braden Holtby ($0.638m)
Tyler Sloan ($0.233m) / Tom Poti ($1.042m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,024,016; BONUSES: $320,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,275,984
Buy out Poti. Technically in this scenario there is enough room to keep him without the buyout, but I figure they are going to do it.
- Carlson for $1.5M. I figure he is in a similar bargaining position as Alzner was last season. Is there any reason he would be able to get a better deal?
- Beagle for $1.0M. Can probably sign him for less.
- Perreault for $0.8M.
- Green for $5.0M. Not sure about this one. Puck moving defensemen get paid, but he didn't play 82 games in the last two seasons combined and is two years removed from elite offensive production.
Sign as UFA:
- Jarret Stoll for $4.25M. One of the few solid centers available this offseason. Was a Player Contribution gem last year, down year this season with a dip in TOI.
- Jason Garrison for $3.0M. Top CORSI defender for FLA this year with the 2nd toughest Corsi Rel QoC (but good zone starts). Played significant PP and SH time. Might be underestimating his cap hit though.
The pipe dream:
- Trade one of the first round picks, Schultzie, and another pick/prospect for Plekanec. Not sure if that is a good enough deal, but I'd probably be willing to throw any of our defenders outside of 27/74 into that deal instead of 55 to make it work.
Thoughts? Is this team good enough to compete? Definitely would be deep down the center. Think Plekanec is even on the trading block? (or even worth pursuing?)
Here is the calculator: http://capgeek.com/cap-calculator/?team_id=30