NEW YORK, NY - MAY 12: Alex Ovechkin #8 of the Washington Capitals sets up in front of the net against Michael Del Zotto #4 of the New York Rangers in Game Seven of the Eastern Conference Semifinals during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Madison Square Garden on May 12, 2012 in New York City. (Photo by Paul Bereswill/Getty Images)
Your savory breakfast links:
● It's Breakdown Day. The questions, they loom ... [DCEx, RtR, WaPo, OFB]
○ ... Dale Hunter, for example. London's calling ... [LFP]
○ ... Alexander Semin's future gets potentially more enigmatic as the KHL announces they will suspend their salary cap for one player per team who returns to Russia from the NHL ... [PHT]
○ ... and there's some other guys looking for contracts, with handy chart. [WaPo]
● Unmet expectations ... [WashTimes, DCEx, CSNW]
○ ... and a promising reinvention that still fell short ... [WaPo, NHL.com, THW, Fanspeak.com, Hockey Hourly]
○ ... but ultimately, defeated by the superior team. [WashTimes]
● More appreciation for Braden Holtby. [WaPo, PHT, WashTimes]
● Through two rounds, no team played shorthanded more that the Caps, and lots of other interesting numbers. [RMNB]
● Lies, damn lies, statistics, and Alex Ovechkin [NHLNumbers.com]
● Ovi, Alex Syomin, and Nicklas Bäckström will play for Sbornaya and Tre Kronor at the World Championship. [WashTimes, IIHF, Hockey Ramblings]
● Reflections on a red-rocking rookie season. [Caps B-Ball]
● It was long past time to launder that jersey, gents. [Puck Buddys]
● Media notes: Lots o' Caps radio this morning. You can catch Alan May from 8-10am on ESPN 980, and Braden Holtby will be on WTOP at 8:50am.
● Here's more on David Bondra and his decision to become a Spartan. [Detroit News (video), s/t to sk84fun_DC]
● Programming note: Our annual Rink Wrap feature kicks off today at 11. Karl Alzner is up first, so kennel the dogs and get your gold stars ready.
● Finally, happy 44th birthday to Steve Seftel.