Geoff Burke-US PRESSWIRE
Washington Capitals daily news and notes: There's real hockey really being played at the Verizon Center tonight, Philipp Grubauer is a pretty good goalie, and what do you get when you cross a podium with a hockey-starved press corps?
Your savory breakfast links:
- Previews of tonight's AHL Showcase at Verizon Center featuring the Hershey Bears at Norfolk Admirals from Tim Leone, HamptonRoads.com, Vulture's Row, Random Stuff, and be sure to check out our SB Nation partner Anaheim Calling for more coverage from the other side of tonight's match-up.
- A fresh clean sheet of pristine ice awaits. Giggity. [@WashCaps]
- The game is said to be sold out, but if you venture online to look for some last-minute ducats for sale, we wouldn't recommend shopping here. [WVEC.com]
- Fortunately, you'll be able to catch the game in all its glory on Comcast, with John Walton and Gregg Mace calling the play. Scott Stuccio will have the radio call. [Hershey Bears, CSN]
- And Uncle Ted provides your VC traffic advisory o' the day. [Ted's Take]
- Notes and assorted whatnot from Chocolatetown:
- From Wednesday's practice, Braden Holtby will have the net tonight, Jeff Taffe is moving up, and Mattias Sjogren is moving in. [Patriot-News]
- Here's Holtby talking about playing the Verizon Center in a white-and-chocolate sweater. [Patriot-News (video)]
- We haven't heard much about Danick Paquette this season. The six screws in his right forearm might be one reason why. Also, congrats are in order for the Bears' newly-named alternate captains, Jon DiSalvatore and Ryan Potulny. [Patriot-News]
- The Bears will have their morning skate at Kettler today, hitting the ice at 10. [@WaltonCaps]
- Down a level, the Reading Royals have themselves a pretty fine netminder. Philipp Grubauer was named ECHL Goaltender of the Month for November, with a record of 10-1-0-0 with a 2.13 GAA and a .913 save pct. [ECHL.com, Dump 'n' Chase, CSNW]
- Back in Lockout Land, a day of growing optimism faded into a late, late night full of silliness and then not much more than a promise to do it all over again the next day.
- With Pittsburgh's minority owner Ron Burkle and star player Sidney Crosby sitting across the table from one another, we should have this wrapped up in time to watch "Price is Right," yes? [ESPN, NatPo, Globe and Mail]
- Okay, so not this morning, but maybe by suppertime ... [Puck Daddy (and again), CBS Sports, CSNW, NatPo]
- Did someone say suppertime? Only every person in New York City with functional thumbs and a Twitter account. But the lockout wasn't over by then, either. [NY Post]
- The negotiators returned to the bargaining table after they ate and the official NHL podium was constructed, then deconstructed, then constructed once again. Which meant the assembled national hockey media finally had a story they could cover, and for the next few hours it was Podiumonium! F'r realz. [SB Nation, DC Sports Nexus, @NHLPodium]
- Did someone say hours? Oh yes. The negotiations lingered until close to 1:30am or so, and the dreaded detail leaks soon followed. Bottom line: Prepare for another day of watchful waiting, and brush up on your bad podium puns. [ESPN, Puck Daddy, The Spin, KK]
A few questions remain:
- What did Alex Ovechkin actually say, when did he say it, to whom did he say it and what did he mean by it? So enigmatic, Ovi. [Alex Ovetjkin, RMNB]
- Could Gary Bettman actually be ousted when all is said and done? [ESPN]
- What's the calendar have to do with anything? [ESPN $]
And, if they actually wrap this thing up, how many games could the season hold? [Puck Daddy]
- Mathieu Perreault is a point-per-game player in Finland. [Hockey Shopped]
- Wojtek Wolski has wrapped up his Polish Hockey League career (we think) on home ice, setting up the gamewinning goal for his team and waving a sad farewell to the Sanok faithful. Oh, and he played the last two games with a groin injury. [sport.pl]
- No, Nicky, no! Oof. [Puck Daddy]
- Aw Bruce, you big lug. It got a little dusty in here for a bit. [Homer McFanboy]
- Here's a nifty guide to some great books for
your collectionthe many hockey fans in your life. [NHL Radio]
- Finally, happy 51st birthday to Chris Valentine.