James Guillory-US PRESSWIRE
Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: If Alex Ovechkin was a stock, Brett Hull would be buying... should he be so bullish? That, the latest on the lockout, Hall of Fame leftovers and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- Brett Hull is bullish on an Alex Ovechkin resurrection under Adam Oates... [WaPo, PHT]
- ... but should he be? [WaPo]
- All quiet on the lockout front?
- Stuck, they are. [ESPN, USA Today, @ChrisBottaNHL]
- Who needs to wait another month-and-a-half for the "fiscal cliff" when we're already living hockey's version? [ESPN]
- Mark Recchi - owner, Mark Recchi - says it's time for the players to take what they can get because "the longer it goes, the worse [the offer] is going to get," which, of course, has been demonstrably untrue so far. [TSN, Boston.com]
- A Hall-of-Fame former Cap cautions against assuming the fans will come back. [Sporting News]
- Is a third-party mediator a possibility? [Lord Stanley's Blog]
- On the plus side, both Caps goalies are currently playing hockey (even if Michal Neuvirth has won just one of his ten games), which may give them a leg up on the competition, should that competition ever get underway. [Edmonton Journal]
- A handful of HoF leftovers worth your while. [Down Goes Brown, CBC (30 Thoughts), ESPN, Bruins.com (Cam Neely video), The Spin, WaPo, WashTimes, CSNW]
- Marcus Johansson's back... is hurting. [PHT]
- John Carlson did a radio hit with a Calgary station yesterday. [SN960 (mp3), h/t @AdamVingan]
- It's back to work in Hershey for co-coach Oates... [CBC]
- ... and co-coach Mark French. [Capitals Voice]
- The Bears have recalled forward Alex Berry from Reading. [Patriot-News]
- Congrats to the Caps-sponsored squad that won the B division of the NHL Sled Hockey Classic up in Buffalo over the Veterans Day weekend. [Capitals]
- Finally, happy 36th birthday to Brad Church, happy 56th to Jim Bedard, happy 68th to Rod Seiling (one game played!), happy 70th to Bugsy Watson, and happy [redacted] to our buddy Joe Beninati.