Bruce Bennett - Getty Images
Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: Talks continue between the NHL and NHLPA, Caps continue to play in Europe and the fans continue to be peeved.
Your savory breakfast links:
● Lockoutapalooza keeps right on rockin'.
○ Hey, the NHL really does care what the fans think!! ...or at least is willing to pay a PR firm a lot of money to help them craft a message that makes it look like they do. Same diff. [Deadspin, Puck Daddy]
○ An economic proposal that actually sounds feasible. So it will definitely not be under consideration. [BHS]
When If nothing comes of this latest round of talks, expect the NHL to pull the plug on another set of games... and this time it won't just be two weeks. [Sporting News]
○ Why Donald Fehr doesn't care what you or anyone else thinks - and why he doesn't have to care. [Puck Daddy]
○ ...but don't worry, chances of that or anything else leading to the creation of a WHA-esque rival league are slim to none. [Spector's Hockey]
○ "Bettman confirmed that he hasn’t seen so much public enthusiasm about the sport since 2004, when a labor dispute forced the NHL to cancel the entire season." Laugh to keep from crying, kids. [The Onion]
● Meanwhile over in Europe:
● And down on the farm:
○ Bear tracks! [Lebanon Daily News]
● Dick Patrick talks to the media and reflects back on the early days in Caps Nation before receiving the Lester Patrick Trophy at last nights USHHOF Induction Ceremony. [Dump 'n Chase, Caps OT (video)]
● Finally, check out Caps' 2012 draft pick Thomas DiPauli scoring the eventual game-winner for Notre Dame to claim the Icebreaker Championship (via PHT):