Your savory Saturday brunch links:
- It is with profound shock and deep sorrow that we note the passing of Derek Boogaard. We extend our sympathies to his family, friends, fans, and teammates. [Blueshirt Banter, Hockey Wilderness]
- But it's never too early to brag about your regular season record! Well, maybe. [SteinBog]
- Got a few other UFA's to check off the list. [Puckhead]
- Oh, Alex. [Alex Ovetjkin, RMNB, Moscow News]
- Related: The new boss of the players' union is making the rounds at Worlds. [IIHF]
- Also related: Today marks exactly 1,000 days until the opening ceremonies for the 2014 Olympics at Sochi. Tick tock. [RT]
- Hmm. The Caps' organizational depth seems to be settling in at right about their draft position. [HF]
- Meet a local kid who has the attention of the scouts. [USHL.com]
- Prospect playoff updates:
- Stanislav Galiev worked hard all night and had some great chances, but Gatineau's goaltending got the better of the Sea Dogs last night. Game Six is on Sunday.
Cody Eakin and the Kootenay Ice put on a thrilling show in Portland, and with sixteen wins vs. only three losses, raised the Ed Chynoweth Cup as Western Hockey League Champions. In 19 playoff games, Cody had 11 goals and 16 assists for 27 points. He finished plus-9 on the series. Next stop is Mississauga Ontario and a berth in the Memorial Cup Tournament. [Buzzing the Net, WHL.ca (Photo Gallery)]
- Happy 43rd birthday to Steve Seftel.
- And finally, an administrative note - Sunday Clips are going on hiatus for the offseason, unless actual news is happening (draft, Dev Camp, etc.) We will have an open discussion thread, instead. Enjoy!