WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 15: Alex Ovechkin #8 of the Washington Capitals warms up prior to his game against the New York Rangers in Game Two of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals during the 2011 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Verizon Center on April 15, 2011 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
Your savory breakfast links:
- Previews of today's Game 5 with the Vogs, NHL.com (Lozo), Frankovic, RtR and CRtC, and be sure to check out our SB Nation partner Blueshirt Banter for more coverage from the other side of today's match-up. from
- Notes and assorted whatnot from yesterday's practices:
- Straight up: Past performance is not indicative of future results. [NHL.com (Masisak), WashT CSN Washington, DCEx (McNally), Dump-n-Chase, CapsNewsNetwork, Sick Unbelievable, Skate Skate SHOOT, KoL]
- Nevertheless, the services of Jason Arnott and Scott Hannan were acquired for a reason. [CW (Whyno)]
- Possibly related: The quest for the killer instinct. [WashTimes (Whyno)]
- Crash that net, boys. Plus some help for Michal Neuvirth . [RtR]
- Speaking of Neuvirth, he's been, uh, good. [Skate Skate SHOOT]
- On the resilience of John Carlson ... [NHL.com (Masisak)]
- ...and on the motor-mouthiness of Scott Hannan... [CSN Washington (Raby)]
- ...and on the subject of Missing Mike Knuble ... [WaPo (Hamilton), Skate Skate SHOOT (video)]
- ...because Mike is officially out of Game Five. Rest up, Mike! [CSN Washington]
- Is Jason Arnott providing veteran leadership to the gents behind the bench as well? Hmm. [DCEx (McNally)]
- Happy 53rd birthday to Ryan Walter.
- Finally, today in Caps/Rangers history:
- 1990 Patrick Division Finals: One game after notching a hat trick, John Druce scores twice and adds a pair of assists in a 7-1 Game 3 route to push the Caps ahead in the series for the first time. Druce: loose.
- 1986 Patrick Division Finals: Caps lose Game 4 in overtime by a 6-5 count to even the series at two games apiece.