Through a series of pre (and early season) polls, readers of the rink voted to predict the final 2010-2011 Eastern Conference standings. So...how did we do?
Our Predictions to the left, actual standings to the right in bold.
1) Washington Capitals 1) CORRECT!
3) Boston Bruins 3) CORRECT!
4) New Jersey Devils 4) Pittsburgh Penguins (-2 below predicted finish)
5) Philadelphia Flyers 5) Tampa Bay Lightning (+2 above predicted finish)
7) Tampa Bay Lightning 7) Buffalo Sabres (-1 below predicted finish)
9) New York Rangers 9) Carolina (+3 above predicted finish)
10) Montreal Canadiens 10) Toronto (+3 above predicted finish)
11) Atlanta Thrashers 11) New Jersey (-7 below predicted finish)
13) Toronto Maple Leafs 13) Ottawa Senators (-5 below predicted finish)
14) New York Islanders 14) CORRECT!
15) Florida Panthers 15) CORRECT!
We were only correct on 4 out of 15 results, and were strong at the very top, and very bottom of the conference predictions.
We predicted within 1 standings position for 3 others teams (Buffalo, New York Rangers, Atlanta Thrashers).
The teams that disappointed us the most were New Jersey who finished 7 spots below their predicted finish, and Ottawa who finished 5 positions lower.
The team that was most under estimated was Montreal, who finished 4 positions higher than predicted. I think many of us were still feeling bitter about being Halak'd in the playoffs, and expected the team to regress after trading the playoff hero to St Louis.
So who were your biggest surprises of the season? Disappointments?
Was this a fun enough exercise for us to do all over again heading into next season?