OK, I’ve GOT IT!!!…here’s my new realignment scheme. Key features:
- Each Conference net-gains a team for a total of 32 teams.
- New teams would be Quebec in the East and either Seattle or Salt Lake City for the West (Ha! Foiled you again, Balsillie!).
- NSH moves east to balance WPG going west.
- Each Conference made up of four (4) divisions of four (4) teams each.
- Each team plays the other 3 teams in their division 4 times.
- Each team plays each of the teams in the other conference twice.
- Each team plays each of the remaining teams in their own Conference three (3) times
- …plus two extra games played against a randomly selected out-of-division (out-of-conference?) opponent…
- …for a total of 82 regular season games.
- Playoff seeds 1-4 in each Conference go to the holder of the best record in each division, with seeds 5-8 going to the teams with the 5ht through 8th most standings points.
- Points also could be re-assessed, as follows:
- REGULATION: Win = 3 Points; Loss = 0 Points
- OVERTIME: Win = 2 Points; Loss = 1 Point; Tie = Both teams get 1 point.
- Shootout is abolished and the OT period is 5-on-5 for 20 Minutes.
The Conferences and divisions would be aligned thus (The Division names are of course tentative):
Clarke Division (Seriously, I thought Langway Division was a bit pretentious, and no ^&% way was I going to name it the “Lemieux Division”!
Yzerman Division (sorry, I was kind of at a loss)