VANCOUVER, CANADA - OCTOBER 29: Goalie Roberto Luongo #1 of the Vancouver Canucks makes a glove save on Alex Ovechkin #8 of the Washington Capitals as Alexander Edler #23 of the Vancouver Canucks and Marcus Johansson #90 look on during the third period in NHL action on October 29, 2011 at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. (Photo by Rich Lam/Getty Images)
Your savory breakfast links:
- Recaps and other assorted musings on last night's loss from us, Caps365 video (Boudreau, players), Vogs, , VoiceNHL.com (Woodley), WaPo (Carrera: gamer, blog), WashTimes (Whyno: gamer, blog, blog), CSN Washington (Gormley: gamer, blog; Beninati: blog), SB Nation DC, KOL, RMNB, DSP, and RLS (#fancystats) and from the Canucks' side, The Province (blog, gamer), Vancouver Sun (photos, gamer), Kurtenblog, and Nucks Misconduct.
- How 'bout that third period? Ugh. [CW (Whyno)]
- But we'll take a moment to savor Alex Ovechkin's 100th career power play goal anyway. [YouTube via @WashCaps_Rus]
- Earlier in the week, Christine Simpson of SportsNet.ca sat down with Alex for an interview. [SportsNet.ca (video) via FanShot]
- At least the Hershey Bears had a good game. Oh, wait. [Patriot-News (Leone), SHoE]
- Speaking of the Bears, Graham Mink explains how he helps to keep the "professional" in professional hockey at the American League level. [PA Puck]
- It was a slightly better night for Caps prospect forward Stanislav Galiev, whose Memorial Cup-winning Saint John Sea Dogs raised their championship banners and presented the championship rings. Oh, and they also blew out the Chicoutimi Sagueneens 6-0. [Pictures: One, Two, Three, Four, Five]
- Joel Ward looks back on his early hockey career and some of his coaches and mentors. [The Hockey News]
- Say, that ice in Edmonton is pretty slick. Is there a correlation between fast ice and extra hooking penalty calls? [Caps Outsider]
- Finally, happy 59th birthday to Ron LaLonde, happy 44th birthday to Pat Elynuik, happy 34th birthday to Ivan Ciernik, and hey there, happy 28th to Sean Collins.