Surprise! It's a Russian forward.
Your savory Saturday brunch links:
- Be sure to tune in to Japers' Rink Radio this morning at 10:00 to hear guests Tarik El-Bashir and our own J.P. live from Los Angeles.
- With a sly wink to the cameras and a wicked grin, George McPhee strode to the microphone in the Staples Center and used the 26th pick in the first round to select 18-year-old Russian center Евгений Кузнецов. [Japers' Rink, WaPo, NHL, Vogs, Caps Insider (again), PHT, Ed Frankovic, Corey, SBNation, RMNB]
Interviews [Mahoney, McPhee, Kuznetsov]
Mike Knuble was honored in his home state on Friday night by being selected as the final torch-bearer and lighter-of-the-Flame at the inaugural Meijer State Games of Michigan. [Grand Rapids Press, (Video One, Video Two)]
- Prior to the beginning of the 2009-2010 season, Alex Ovechkin spent a few days in Canada doing some promotional appearances. One of those was a private event for Energizer Canada. Part of his commitment for this promotion was to return to Canada to host a clinic for a local kids' team. The lucky team was chosen by lottery, and after many delays, Ovie was finally able to make good on his promise with a long journey from Las Vegas to Ajax, Ontario following the NHL Awards. He made a whole bunch of kids very happy. [CTV Video]
- Chris Bourque to the Kontinental Hockey League? Not so fast. [Caps Insider]
- Finally, happy 30th birthday to John Erskine.