What the hell was going at the end of the Flames game?
Here is my list of grievances in no particular order:
- Ovechkin playin approx 28 minutes in the third period
- Gabby doing some extraordinary measures to try and tie up a 2 goal deficit
- pulling the goalie with 2+ minutes
- Putting Ovechkin out as your non-PP pointman (pulled goalie is not the same thing)
- leaving Ovie out there for the entire two plus minutes when he'd been one the ice more than the linesman that period
- putting a purely skill lineup out in the waning minutes of a chippy game
I know Bruce is trying to compel his boys to play to win every game, and I applaud that.
What I DON'T applaud is putting the guys in a vulnerable position, late in the game -- when they're tired, and more prone to injury, not to mention wearing down before the playoffs.
Ovie was throwing his body around late in the game, yet was completely exhausted, not a good recipe. Mike Green was even grabbing with his hands to try and stop a SHOT on the empty net (hello broken hand in a MEANINGLESS GAME).
etc, etc.... it was a CF if I've ever seen one. Either the patients were running the asylum, or Gabby got a bit of (what they refer to in auto racing as) the red mist.
Not smart. Not smart at all.