Again, the gang at OFB have put it out there. Pond hockey anyone? Another golden opportunity to get your fix of some shinny in DC and cure that cabin fever. By some accounts, the C&O canal is frozen once again thanks to the latest round of snowpocalypse's generous contributions. If that's truly the case, there will be some required shoveling and snow pushing to get a decent stretch of playing surface to skate on.
If anyone has played pond hockey, you know how special it is ... it is the spirit of the game at its finest. Hockey celebrated at its roots and where you feel like a kid again. if anyone has not ... experience it once, and you'll have a yearning that'll never die.
More after the jump...Capitals-Blues game? Sunday? Keep in mind, gentlemen, that tomorrow is Valentine's Day. Shout out to Fehr.and.Balanced for the reminder. With that said, I think that if we do this tomorrow, the earlier the better. Even better? Bring your valentine along! I'll check back on this FanPost and update it with more information accordingly based the level of interest. I'd like to think there's a good amount of Japers' Rink Rabbits and Rats out there that are just as passionate as those at OFB. Some helpful info:
- Though you can find people skating on all along the C&O, by and large Lock 7 is usually the spot to be at.
- From Georgetown/Fletcher's Boathouse (Google Maps), head up Clara Barton Parkway towards Maryland -- you will pass Chain Bridge and cross the VA/MD state line. If you've gone past Cabin John Bridge, you've gone too far. Lock 7 is close to Little Falls Pumping Station.
- From Maryland or Virginia, your best bet is to take 495 and jump onto the Clara Barton Parkway. There is parking at Lock 7 along the Clara Barton Parkway. You can also access Lock 7 via Canal Road, but based on what I saw the past few days, you may have to
do some illegal activityget creative parking with whatever real estate is left.
- Is that inner child of yours that wants to skate outdoors asleep? Awaken him/her ... Go here.
- Not moved yet? Read some more here and here.
- And finally, if this doesn't convince you, you're hopeless ...