Given how extensively the Canadian hockey media is in the tank for Pittsburgh forward and oiled-up barely-legal model Sidney Crosby, it would take truly remarkable Crosby-worship for one Canadian journalist to rise above the rest. And yet Jeff Marek, a CBC radio host and tweeter, has managed to differentiate himself from his peers. His Crosby-fluffing medium of choice: Twitter.
Marek's Crosby worship took off during the Canadian Olympic orientation camp when his Crosby-obsessive Tweets spawned a mini-competition to see who could RT them and make fun of them first and best. Here's a quick recap:
- @JeffMarek started slowly -- "Crosby looks excellent. But then again, didn't he just win the cup yesterday?" -- but quickly ramped up;
- "Crosby leading the stretch at centre. Very exciting tweet that was";
- "Team White skate over. Crosby was the class of the skate again. Wash - rinse - repeat.";
- "I should have the new line combos in a couple of hours. Will be curious to see if the keep crosby/nash together. They've been magic." (Magic? In a pre-season, pre-camp, pre-practice practice? Is Marek 12 years old? Does he believe in dragons?);
- "Crosby is killing everyone in the faceoff drills. So much for that being a weak part of his game."; and
- "I hope you all get to see this pass Crosby made to Derek Roy tonight at the scrimmage. Best pass of the camp hands down." (Seriously? Rating passes at pre-season, pre-camp, pseudo-scrimmages?)
@JeffMarek's fluff job became so epic in the Twittersphere that even NHL public relations staffers have piled on. After @JeffMarek tweeted this last night -- "Crosby w/a pair tonight vs Jackets. I'll repeat again, he was the best player at [Team Canada] orientation camp." -- Caps PR chief Nate Ewell couldn't take it anymore and tweeted back: "Heard you the first 457 times, Jeff."