via the shoebox next to my desk
Your savory breakfast links:
- Rookie Camp, Day Three is in the books:
- Karl Alzner and Chris Bourque look to be proactive as they try to make the team next starting next week. [Capitals Insider]
- Joe Finley was back on the ice yesterday, but isn't sure if he'll play Friday. Dude, it's the Flyers - you're playing. [In The Room]
- Corey on Josh Godfrey. [Washington Times]
- Arturs Irbe on Semyon Varlamov and the goaltending situation... [Examiner]
- ... which is perhaps the premier positional battle in the NHL this fall. [The Hockey News]
- Varly's gear has been a topic of discussion for goalie geeks here and up in Chocolatetown.
- Pictures! [TTT Hockey and Caps In Pictures (and again)]
- In case you hadn't heard, Alex Ovechkin was in New York City yesterday, and took the town by storm. Steinz was Tweeting like a mad man (and wrapped up the day fabulously), Carrie Milbank was lovely as always, @nateewell kept up his string of consecutive days killing it, NHL guys got into the act, and Puck Daddy took the opportunity to remind us of AO's history behind the wheel(s).
- Ovie also made news yesterday by saying he's playing in the 2014 Olympics, with or without the NHL's blessing. I'm surprised no one in the mainstream media is knocking his brazen assumption that he'll make the team. [ESPN.com]
- AO is the League's seventh-best hitter (one wonders what Brian Pothier thinks of the guy in the top spot). [The Hockey Writers]
- It's "Alex Ovechkin Night" for the Mystics on Saturday. I wonder if AO knows that doesn't mean what he thinks it means. [MysticsTix.com]
- Eric Fehr (who's back in town) isn't quite ready for body contact, but his "shooting and skating feel excellent," and he's aiming to be ready for Opening Night. [John Walton Hockey]
- I think this is my favorite Caps plate yet. [Simply Sensational]
- Finally, happy 27th birthday to Staffan Kronwall (thanks for those three games) and happy 49th to former assistant coach Tim Hunter.