[Ed. Note: Fates conspired against me last evening and this morning, so I figured I'd throw Rage's daily recap of the games that matter (slightly edited) out there for discussion as the playoff picture starts to come into focus.]
Last night's games (involving Eastern Conference teams):
- Sabres 3 - Leafs 1: The Sabres stay alive, but their tragic number is 1 (Rangers).
Tonight's games (involving Eastern Conference teams):
- Capitals @ Lightning: 1 point for the Caps clinches the second seed.
- Devils @ Senators: A win for the Sens clinches the 2nd seed for the Caps. A single point for the Devils clinches the division.
- Canadiens @ Bruins: A single point for the Canadiens clinches the playoffs.
- Islanders @ Penguins: Any combo of 2 points earned by the Pens/lost by the Canadiens (e.g. 2/0, 1/1, 0/0) guarantees that the
Capssecond seed play either the Candiens, Rangers or Panthers.
- Flyers @ Rangers: A win by the Rangers clinches at least the 8 seed.
- Sabres @ Hurricanes: 3 team race (Phil/Car/Pitt) for the 4/5/6 seeds.
- Panthers @ Thrashers: Looking dicey for the Panthers. Check out bullets 4 and 5 above.
You can find an updated Playoff Tracker here. Note that in the tracker, I don't account for tiebreakers but I've added a little table to help compare total wins and head to head points earned.
Best case Scenario for Tonight:
A point earned by the Caps/lost by the Devils. And a guarantee of either Montreal, NYR or Florida in the first round.