Notes about tonight's games and tomorrow's preview as it relates to the playoffs.
Tonight's games (involving Eastern Conference teams):
1) Caps 5 - NYI 3: Caps sitting in the #2 seed comfortably (see next game) with 101 points and 5 games to play. NJD is second with 98 points and 5 games to play. 5 games to play, the Caps' magic number to clinch the 2 seed is 8 points (over NJD); Caps' MN for the division is 1 (Carolina).
2) Pens 6 - NJD 1: Loss by NJD gives the Caps a bit of breathing room for the #2 seed. The Pens/Flyers/Canes are all logged together with 92/92/91 points. NJD's MN for the division (ignoring tiebreakers) is 7 (Philly).
3) Leafs 3 - Flyers 2: Flyers still have a game in hand on both Pitt and Carolina. and thus control the #4 seat. Flyers' MN for the 4 seed is 12 (Pittsburgh).
4) Thrashers 3 - Sabres 2 (OT): Has no real effect on the playoffs. Sabres are 5 points out. Tragic number is 7 (Canadiens).
Tomorrow's games (involving Eastern Conference teams):
1) NY Rangers @ Canes: This is obviously the big one. Any type of loss gives the Caps the 3 seed. Also of note, the Rangers are 1 point up on the Canadiens (MTL has 1 game in hand). If the Rangers win, they're 3 up. A loss puts MTL in the driver's seat. Loser falls to the 7 seed (Rangers currently hold the tiebreak, would lose it with a loss).
2) Canadiens @ NYI: Win by the Canadiens plus a loss by the Rangers puts the Canadiens in the 7 seed. As it is, they are in the drivers seat over the Rangers due to their game in hand.
3) Senators @ Bruins: Caps are 7 points back and the Bruins have a game in hand. Conference pretty much belongs to the Bruins. Senators are eliminated by a loss or a single point earned by Montreal.
I hope I didn't miss anything. You can also see the updated Playoff Tracker here. Feel free to comment on anything I messed up above.