There have been a lot of pixels on the Rink lately devoted to cheers and chants ... or more specifically, the ones that either the Rats don't like or the ones that are used inappropriately (there have been a good smattering of both lately). While there has been some discussion of what we do like from college / minors and other stadiums, that's been drowned in comments of a critical and disapproving nature.
Without getting into a discussion of who is or isn't overly uptight about such things, my momma taught me that when you're faced with something you don't like or don't approve of, you've got two choices: b**** about it or do something about it. For all the complaints about the "All Your Fault" chant, at least they're doing something besides making random noise. So, if we don't like what they're doing, then maybe we should do something ourselves. Both of the Rink's previous initiatives to make our opinions known (red poncho love, Free Alex) have been well-received by the media, so why not try it?
I personally like the "who cares" chant after an opposing goal and will join it myself at the next game. But I'd like to see us start one of our own instead of just complaining about other people's. Here's a few ideas, and I'd love to see yours contributed in the comments.
- When an opposing player goes into the penalty box, they need to be showered with a little (verbal) love. Maybe a "you can't do that *clap, clap, clap clap clap* or a "na na na na, na na na na, hey hey, goodbye".
- Last minute of a game, if we're up by more than one goal, or after an empty-net goal that ices the game, pull out your keys and shout "Start the bus! Start the bus!" while shaking them.
- We need a goal song or a goal chant of some kind. I don't have a lot of ideas here - anyone? Bueller?
- I don't have a problem with sing-songing the goalie's name when we're up or tied - as long as it's the right goalie.
- Anything else you guys can think of?