I've been told that Warner Home Video will be releasing the Caps' 10 Greatest Games collection on DVD on March 23, and I feel slightly uneasy about such a release. Why? Simply put, while similarly released collections have games that should have been included and weren't, I feel like such a release for this team, right now, would be unnecessary.
If nothing else, let's go through an exercise of the 10 greatest games in Capital history. Warner traditionally doesn't include team losses on the team it honors on this set, so that automatically rules out the Islander and Penguin 4OT games as being, well, "great." So where do we go from there, for my money, and in no random order, I'd be happy seeing these on a set:
- Game 7 4/16/88 vs. Philadelphia Flyers (Dale Hunter. 'Nuff Said.)
- Game 6 ECF 6/4/98 vs. Buffalo Sabres (the Conference Finals clincher from Joe Juneau)
- Game 2 ECSF 5/4/09 vs. Pittburgh Penguins (hat tricks from Alex Ovechkin and Sid Crosby)
- Game 6 PDF 4/27/90 vs. Rangers (John Druce's OT winner)
- 1/31/08 vs. Habs (Alex Ovechkin's 4 goals and broken nose in the win)
- Game 1 ECQF 4/11/08 vs. Flyers (1st playoff game/win in years)
- 3/12/08 vs. Flames (Olaf Kolzig's 300th win)
- 2/3/96 vs. Islanders (Peter Bondra gets 4 against Tommy Soderstrom in a 6-5 win)
And I run out of gas. Honestly that last one's a reach also. But other existing compilations are from teams that have, you know, won something (Habs, Rangers, Oilers, etc.). So with this pending release, regardless of how you vote, what would your Top 10 be?