via the shoebox next to my desk
Your savory breakfast links:
- Previews of tonight's game from Vogs, the AP, TheStar (and again), Peerless and CapsChick, and keep up with all the SBN game coverage here.
- The Caps have won seven straight home openers and Alex Ovechkin has seven goals in the four he's played. [@capsmedia]
- On tonight's minimal pre-game festivities, Bruce Boudreau offered this: "Boston just introduced the players. They didn't show any banners, did they? Their goals are bigger than division championships. I think ours are bigger than division championships. We raised the banner last year. There's no sense in raising it again." Still, the mere site of the 2008-09 Southeast Division Champions banner may be a bit much for Assistant Coach Woods. [Capitals Insider]
- Leafs bench boss Ron Wilson's super-secret cheat sheet made it on the air the other night (Spoiler Alert! The Habs are small). The Caps had best be ready for "Big Blue Pride" tonight. [Orland Kurtenblog]
- If you're inclined to do so, our pal Dmitry Chesnokov will be chatting during the game on Comcast Sportsnet. [CSN]
- If you find you can never get enough Brooks Laich profiles, here's another one. [Washington Post]
- Versus got their best opening night ratings in their five-year run on Thursday. Of course, if it was Flyers/Bruins, it would have gotten even better ratings, right, NBC? [NHL.com]
- John Buccigross previews the Caps by referencing some band I've never heard of, pumping AO's tires and then placing the Caps behind the Pens in the East. Sounds about right. [ESPN]
- Homer McFanboy profiles Mike Knuble and chats up David Steckel. Good stuff.
- In case you missed it, it looked as if Joe Finley got Bourqued by the Bears. [FanPost]
- Adam Oates has a new gig as assistant coach in Tampa Bay. [CBC]
- Finally (and speaking of slick passing former Caps pivots), happy 37th birthday to Michael Nylander. Wonder what he'll wish for when he blows out the candles...
- Update (late links): Viktor Dovgan is no longer Caps' property; the Caps power play has the potential to be quite good; Loverro on Leonsis; Wise on Leonsis.