Brent Johnson deserved better (42 saves on 44 shots against), but the team's effort on the whole was much better than Saturday night's, so there was a lot to like (and some things not to like) with the point grabbed in Ottawa:
- The Caps won eight of nine faceoffs when shorthanded, including all four draws on the 1:57 of 3-on-5.
- The Caps allowed 36 even strength shots - waaaay too many.
- Of the three defensive pairings, only Tom Poti and Shaone Morrisonn were on the right side of zero in Corsi, but Mo's lack of coverage on the game winner wipes out most of any good he did the rest of the game.
- Speaking of Corsi, Donald Brashear and Boyd Gordon were putrid. Jeff Schultz, too.
- I'm not one to complain about officiating, so I won't. *cough* Koharski *cough*
- Sergei Fedorov's unsportsmanlike conduct penalty was inexcusable.
Chris Clark played a team-low 7:58 (Brash had the same ice time) and skated only nine shifts. Is it ridiculous to think that things here are headed down a one way street? Somewhat related: Matt Bradley is not a third-liner.
- How about that Tomas Fleischmann? I've always loved that guy.
- Nicklas Backstrom (still without an even strength point or a goal of any kind), now has four assists in 11 games. Through 11 games last season, he had no goals and five assists. Could it be that he's just a slow starter? I don't think so either (by the way, fellow Calder finalist Jonathan Toews doesn't have a goal yet either).
- Alex Ovechkin played.
Elsewhere 'Round the Rinks:
Three Caps are on the All-Star ballot.... Heading into last night's game, the Caps were in the middle of the pack in terms of crashing the net, but were near the bottom in clearing the crease at their own end - not good with a goalie who's giving up plenty of rebounds.... Power Ranking roundup: SportingNews.com (down five to 15), The Hockey News (down six to 16), CBSSports.com (down three to 14), Sportsnet.ca (down three to 17), CBCSports.ca (down six to 18), TSN.ca (down nine to 23(?)) and The Detroit News (15), (h/t GJM).... Stu Hackel killed Jack Edwards (and Versus) in his column yesterday, and he was spot on.