"I'm very defensive about Zubie. I don't think [Alex Ovechkin] would have better numbers with anybody in the league. [Zubrus] is a big strong guy who brings guys to him and that opens up space for [Ovechkin]."Ovechkin was more concise in his acclaim for his centerman:
"What does he do? He gives me the puck."
Elsewhere 'round the rinks:
- Teemu Selanne and Vesa Toskala are your Offensive and Defensive Players of the Week, respectively.
- With his 52nd goal and 109th point of the season last night, Jaromir Jagr tied the Rangers' single-season mark for goals (set by Adam Graves in 1993-94) and points (set by Jean Ratelle in 1971-72). Jerk.
- Red Wing captain Steve Yzerman has had a phenomenal career statistically (to say nothing of his career as gauged by hockey's other measuring sticks). Thirteen times he has averaged more than a point-per-game for a single-season, topping 100-points six times and 50-goals five times. Last night Yzerman scored career goal number 690, tying him for eighth most all-time. With Mario Lemieux. Who racked up his 690 tallies in 617 fewer games, or about 59% of the games Stevie Y has played.
- Happy 48th Birthday to former Cap Looooooooooooooou Franceschetti. Also celebrating a birthday today, Keith Tkachuk (34 - go easy on the cake, Walt), and former Oiler and Ranger blueliner Jeff Beukeboom (43).
Hart: Henrik Lundqvist (Win, 0 goals allowed on 8 shots against through overtime in 24:59 after entering the game down 4-2 in relief of Kevin Weekes, before stopping all three Buffalo attempts in the shootout)
Ross: Alex Burrows, Mattias Ohlund (3 points each)
Norris: Mattias Ohlund (3 assists, +3, 3 blocked shots, 2 hits)
Vezina: Martin Gerber (Win, 1 goal allowed on 24 shots against)
Richard: Alex Burrows (3 goals)
- Calder: Alex Burrows (3 goals, including game-winner, +3, 6 shots on goal, 1 hit, 2 takeaways, 0 giveaways)
Aiken: Mathieu Garon (Loss, 7 goals against on 32 shots)